As our world grows increasingly darker, I felt it most appropriate to bring forth this subject. I pray the Holy Spirit ministers to you in all truth!
Over the years I have been asked questions regarding unusual or unsettling occurrences many of my clients have encountered in their homes. Because this is not a topic typically taught in bible classes many have felt confused as to what they were witnessing. Many clients have asked me if I have ever had any dealings with such occurrences, since I am in many homes.
It is my prayer that this blog, More than an Organizer…Detecting, Diagnosing and Dealing with Spiritual Environments will help begin to answer some of your questions, and that it will also increase your own home’s spiritual discernment.
I titled this blog “More Than an Organizer” because that is what one client called me when we began his home’s spiritual investigation. We both laughed. There are times when we need to uncover more than just paper piles. Have you ever encountered an atmosphere that caused you great confusion and a queasy feeling in certain part of your home? Have you ever admitted that a certain room causes you to flee because of an oppressive atmosphere? Have you ever noticed certain rooms where the clutter just tended to pile because you just can’t stand being in the room?
So how did I become knowledgeable on this topic and worthy of teaching this?
Actually I came to the industry of organization after I spent several years in a ministry that was called upon to conduct what is known as “spiritual house cleansing”. In each of the instances we were called upon, I noticed common denominator… disorganization. After a few years, God showed me how I could be more effective in my gifting by moving me out of the ministry and transferring me into the professional organizing industry.
So let’s begin by dispelling a few misconceptions. Spiritual house cleansing is not about superstition. Superstition is placing faith in any person, place or thing other than the almighty God and His infallible word. I am not unfolding legalism, meaning there is not a formula devised for each circumstance encountered. My intention is to present biblical principles and Godly proven practices that can free our homes from spiritual bondage.
Cleansing the atmosphere of our homes as well as our hearts is essential if the Church is to become effectual in these last days. This cleansing often involves the removal of certain physical possessions. The question is, which ones?
Lets read scripture to find out…
Genesis 35:1-5 – God says to Jacob Go To Bethel, make an altar and put away the strange gods that are among you and be clean and change your garments. After they did so, God brought terror upon the cities that were round about them and they did not pursue after the sons of Jacob.
Deuteronomy 7:25-26 The images of their gods you are to burn in the fire. Do not covet the silver and gold on them, and do not take it for yourselves, or you will be ensnared by it, for it is detestable to the Lord your God.Do not bring a detestable thing into your house or you, like it, will be set apart for destruction. Regard it as vile and utterly detest it, for it is set apart for destruction.
1Corinthians. 10-18-22 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor.Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done.A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas. In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.
The bottom line is that Father is grieved if we possess any object that connects us to a spiritual source other than the one true God. Why? Because it opens the door to spiritual deception and it will turn people away from God and hinder people’s spiritual and physical health.
The following are some obvious guidelines:
- Obviously anything demonic, such as posters, T-shirts, videos, spirit games, items of astrology, tarot cards, charms, amulets, or any other thing having to do with witchcraft must be burned or discarded. Included in this list are fictional books glorifying witchcraft.
- Any item that represents other religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism, ancient Egyptian gods, Freemasonry, and symbols of fertility has no place in a Christian home. Sadly, much of the décor in vogue today includes crystal pyramids, Buddhist pictures and plaques, gold leaf dragon coffee tables, sphinx heads and religious icons from around the world.
- Pornographic material. (This includes magazines, TV, or computer access.)
- Children’s toys, video collections, and games that have occult themes.
- Jewelry given or bought that denotes the same connotations.
When dealing with such items, they must not be given away. They need to be destroyed, discarded, or burned so no one else can use them. There are several books written on the Spiritual House Cleansing subject, so I would encourage you to seek these out if you feel led to know more.
What if it’s not obvious? How do we detect an accursed atmosphere?
- Pray before inspecting various areas of your home. Ask the Lord will revel to you by spiritual insights to anything that may be grieving His Holy Spirit.
- Keep you eyes open for questionable objects. If you do uncover such an object, remember where or when and under what circumstances have you acquired it.
- If the Lord leads you to pray, this is a good beginning. Anointing the room with oil and dedicating the home to God is the natural next step.
This activity is about obedience and honoring God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength, and our possessions. It’s about having lives and homes that honor God. God want to establish environments of light, peace and joy in our areas of influence, and most importantly, our homes.
May the Lord richly bless you as you seek to protect your home from spiritual darkness, and translating it into the glory of His presence.
Eileen Koff, Certified Professional Organizer